Saturday, December 11, 2010

My Daily Thrifty Tip for December 11, 2010


#12 Pack your child's lunch. My daughter started Kindergarten this year. I took her school shopping and she picked out a backpack and a lunchbox. I already pack my husband's lunch and I wasn't thrilled about the idea of packing two lunches in the morning. Bella really wanted to take her lunch to school though. I looked into tray lunches and they cost $2 a day. This is a pretty good price for a meal, but when you add it up you are spending $40 or so a month on one child's lunch.

I buy our groceries on sale and with coupons so I KNOW I can do better than $2 per day. I also know that I pack Bella healthier lunches than she can get in the school cafeteria. Some menu items are hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, fish sticks etc. I usually pack her a sandwich, a fruit (orange, banana, grapes or strawberries), a vegetable (grape tomatoes, broccoli, or baby carrots), a cheese stick, a snack item such as raisins and of course milk.

Another good thing about packing her lunch is that she brings anything she did not eat home with her. When she comes home from school she is always starving, so I tell her to eat her lunch leftovers. (I put an ice pack in her lunch box). With a cafeteria lunch, anything she doesn't eat gets thrown in the trash. She only gets 20 minutes to eat her lunch and that isn't much time for a little girl who likes to talk to her friends! This way I am also saving money on an after school snack!